Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Lesson of the Rolodex

Rolodex project coming along nicely until it comes time to print labels. Somehow every time try to print, only the first page comes out. One time, get all of the pages to print, but addresses cover the seam between the labels rather than sitting on the label proper. Yell at the computer. The Contessa says, I wish I could, but you know I can't help. She pauses. Why don't you call Libby? This lightens the mood. When the laughing stops, realize with horror that don't have any other option. Call Libby. Libby comes downstairs. She looks at the computer appraisingly. I say, the computer won't print the (vulgar word) labels. Libby says, You know, lots of times people blame the computer like it is a person. But 99 percent of the time it isn't the computer's fault, it is actually Human error. Am very close to murder. (Certain that jury could be convinced it was justifiable.) Libby gives the computer a very firm look then clicks the mouse twice. Now try it, she says. The labels print perfectly. Am stuck between gratitude and extreme irritation. When Libby leaves, see Hilary's business card on desk. Feel that brain is slowly making the business card go away so that next time I look at the desk I won't even see the card, all I will see is Part of the Desk. Know that once this happens, will have no chance at all of calling. This thought does not enable me to pick up the phone. Will call Later. Turn chair to face labels. Unstick label and put on card. There are many labels and many cards but find this sort of work calming. Have morbid thought that if institutionalized, would very much enjoy working on Crafts: lanyards, yarn and popsicle stick mandalas. Ask the Contessa if she thinks this is Weird. Continue putting labels on cards. I don't think its weird, she says, I think about it too sometimes. I would wear a robe and slippers and sit in the garden all day. This is an idealized and highly offensive view and am apalled at the Contessa and myself. Discover that the job of sticking the lables on the rolodex cards done. Am shocked. Have been actively dreading the project for two years and it took all of one day and a morning to finish. It is Better to Do Things Right Away. Will try to remember to transfer this new lesson to the rest of life. Have no confidence that lesson will stick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home