Thursday, July 12, 2007

Homonyms

See man on train this morning--he is heavy set, wearing shirt that says Phrack Magazine, and baseball cap that says I Read Your Email. Feel that if he has read my email he has undoubtedly met with disappointment. Brain then has fun with word Read. Meaning of hat changes slightly depending on whether Read is pronounced Reed (I continually read your email) or Red (I have read your email). Finally decide that I Red Your Email is more sinister because it is more specific and might be referring to a particular email. Suffer extreme pangs of nonspecific guilt. Thankfully, brain--for once--rescues me from pitfalls of guilty, depressive thoughts and reminds me of similar homonym pair, Polish. Am always filled with delight when see word on sign, i.e. Professional Car Polish and read Poh-lish (of Poland)instead of Paw-lish (to shine).

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather Moore said...

How strange to threaten fellow commuters with your baseball cap.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that is terrifying.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Another Shade of Grey said...

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....Where are you????????

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home