Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Trip to Europe

Tell the Contessa about one-sided conversation with the New Man yesterday. She is appalled. Says that she can't believe she was ever even remotely attracted to him. He is the exact reason she is not dating. Good thing she has her new girlfriends. Who? Ask, confused. Benson & Hedges, she says, and bitterly, which is worrisome, but see that she is making joke because smokes Camels, not B & Hs. Tell her that always thought that Benson & Heges were not girls, but old men sitting at a partner desk. Says, that may be, but who is to say for sure. Its like Winston, or Salem, made up. Tell her, no it isn't, in fact Winston-Salem is an actual city in North Carolina. She narrows her eyes at me. Laughs in smug way, Sounds like you're practicing for conversations with Libby while I'm in Paris eating pain chocolates. Do not care for her tone. Rifle through stake of papers on desk. The Contessa hits her forehead with the palm of her hand. Says (bad word, bad word.) Ask, What? Says that she forgot to get her passport renewed. Says, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been nasty about Libby, this is my reward. What do I do? The Vice-Boss is going to kill me. See thought enter her head. Says brightly, maybe you could go instead of me. Vice-Boss chososes this moment to come indoors. She reeks of cigarettes. Have graphic image of shared hotel room, ashes everywhere, and a line down the middle of room. In moment of weakness, which immediately regret, tell Vice-Boss that the Contessa's passport not up to day. The Vice-Boss says Come with me, I know where we can go to get it taken care of today. Contessa and Vice-boss come back much later. Vice-Boss says hellow to loudly and to friendly, with fake smile. Slams office door. The Contessa loooks pale and says she needs to drink her coffee before she can talk. After she's had a few sips, she send me an email: We are going to kill each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home