Monday, September 17, 2007

Meeting

Am busily doodling away during meeting--doodles are abstract rather than figurative, filling most of bottom of page with firm diagonal lines, feel that lines clearly indicate dangerously obsessive behavior, but grimly draw to goal of covering all white space on page--when pen leaks in major way, spilling ink on page, quickly traveling down table to lap. Try to sop up ink as best as can with notebook, but this only succeeds in smearing it on table, and it is only then that notice that have spilled ink on taupe pants of the Director of Publicity. She, unfortunately, notices at exactly the same time and shrieks, which brings the meeting to a halt. Have often wished for disasters to end meetings, but do not at all care for all eyes disapprovingly on me--fantasies usually end in similar way, but disapproval replaced with admiration as have just successfully executed the Heimlich maneuver and a nut has flown across the room. The pen exploded, say by way of explanation, showing my hands, which are covered in ink. Say brightly and insanely, I swear this isn't from one of those exploding thingamajiggerss that bank tellers put in bags of stolen money! (Use of word Thingamajiggers haunts me later) Am met with blank stares except by Director of publicity who says angrily that Clearly the ink came from your pen. Excuse self to go to bathroom to wash hands and am told that everyone else will take a quick break so that I don't miss any of meeting. Am thoroughly discouraged.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Whitney Smith said...

I don't know what it is about awkward social moments that make one resort to words that we abandoned as children. It reminds me of the time I said "Thingamabob" to refer to an art opening I was going to, said to an old boyfriend I still feel the strange need to impress. Totally ruined the conversation for me.

4:27 PM  
Blogger thirty-year-old secretary said...

Hear hear, Whitney.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home