Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Big House

The Contessa speaking to the vice boss on the phone as I come in. She nods her head, and makes sympathetic noises, but when she sees me, she moves her index finger in a clockwise boy is she crazy motion. She says, Let me know if There is Anything I Can Do, then sets the phone down in the cradle like it is hot. Well, she says. Yes? The good news is that she doesn't have to go to the big house. As, What is the bad news? The same, the Contessa sighs. Says, I really wanted there to be a trial. Suspect that the Contessa is picturing a soap opera trial. To test suspicion, ask What would you wear to the trial? A suit, the Contessa replies quickly, blinking her lashes and looking up at the light. Do you own a suit? No, but I would buy one for the Occasion. Tomorrow, the Contessa leaving for the wedding in which she will wear the cape. She makes me swear on all that I hold dear that I will call her cell phone and tell her if I hear anything else about the Vice Boss. You know I can't stand to not know everything. Have uncomfortable realization that haven't spoken to the Contessa about Dave coming to Whidbey Island for Sigrid's wedding. Tell her. Oh, she says looking at me strangely. Are you dating? Say, Ye-es, stretching the word out to two syllables. The Contessa stares at me. Well, we will have to go on a double date. Can't tell if she is mad or not. Ask, what is going on with you and Justin? Is he still going with you to the wedding? She smiles. Not mad. Yes, this is a test. A) can we travel together and B) will he still like me after he sees me in an ill-fitting dress with a cape? Say, Well, you have to keep me posted. We seal the deal with iced teas, the Contessa's treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home