Thursday, November 09, 2006

Jackie

New secretary, name of Jackie, blushes every time I talk to her, won't meet my eye, and calls me Mr. San Luis. After original odd jolt when think that my father is in the room, begin to think of self as distinguished and worthy of the Mr. Quickly revise opinion when Jackie buzzes me to say in alarmed tone, somebody who says she is a Contessa of poetry is on the phone. After traditional beep, Mr. San Luis! the Contessa shrieks, wheezing and snorting in completely undignified laughter. Mr. San Luis! she shrieks. Ask her coldly if she called about anything important. The Contessa calms herself. No she just wanted to chat. Says She and Jackie had a fine talk, which makes me feel uneasy. Later, Jackie comes into office, boldly meeting my eye. Ask her Yes? She replies, Fritz, do you know how to get a jam out of the copy machine?

3 Comments:

Blogger Another Shade of Grey said...

I'm never going to catch up with you. Between my newfound Global Warming paranoia and the fact that I can't stop imagining you wearing a belt with whales and socks with ducks I've got no time!

8:09 PM  
Blogger thirty-year-old secretary said...

Probably for the best not to look at every post over the last year and a half.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Another Shade of Grey said...

I'd hate to miss out on some integral part of the story. Been debating whether to share with you it's been unseasonably warm here for the last two days. Low 80s. Gotta run.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home