Monday, February 27, 2006

Cold Part II

Cold comes back, bringing vile sounding cough with it. On train this morning, nose drips in way reminiscent of the Niagara Falls. Woman sitting next to me shifts away in highly disgusted manner, which can well understand, but feelings still badly hurt. As day progresses, nose redder and redder. Cough very likely tubucular, at very least advance pneumonia. The Contessa says I should Go Home. Would, but have meeting with the Dean at which am to discuss some unknown matter. Ask her if I look ok enough to go to meeting. She says You look fine. As we both know this is untrue, we move briskly on to original topic of what the Dean might want to talk about with me. At three, go to meeting. The Dean dressed in beautifully tailored suit that looks elegant rather than stuffy. This has immediate effect of making me feel that look exactly like less well dressed version of Charlie Chaplin in The Kid. The Dean says that there may be a new opening in the Literature department. Tells me what it might entail and says, It seems more up your alley. This leads to conversation about literature. The Dean says impressively that though he is a Historian, he studied quite a bit of literature on the side. Ask what. The French. In Translation? No, in French. Say May Wee in atrocious accent. The Dean launches into impeccable and fast French of which understand not a single word except for strange phrase, il y a beaucoup des punaises, there are a lot of bugs, which can't possibly have said. (Learned phrase after very painful and itchy night spent at Shakespeare and Company in far distant youth.) The Dean seems to think I have understood everything perfectly. We smile and shake hands (later,I think on what?) and I leave as quickly as I can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Sounds like exciting things are around the corner!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home