Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Grotto

Vice-boss and new man not in today but have left packets to be copied. Contessa and I have spirited conversation about Rove and his troubles. We convince ourselves that the end is nigh. Emerge from conversation feeling invigorated. Contessa says she has a top secret thing to attend to. Have terrible time with copy machine, james up every few minutes. Burn self on the insides of copy machine. Earlir invigoration turns to extreme irritation. The Contessa comes back half an hour later with garment bag. Sick look on her face. Am very, very excited. Unzips bag and pulls out dress, which, is more hideous than imagined. I say, it's taupe. I know, my favorite. Holds dress up to face. Taupe not becoming color on the contessa. Say, I thought that it was supposed to be teal. oh no, teal is so 1989. And this isn't taupe, it's White Peach. We look closely at color. I think it changed color under the flouescent lights, says the contessa. Say, you'll all look nude. The Contessa says grimly, I'm afraid that's the idea. We are supposed to be nymphs. Touch cape. Not made of a Nice material. Say, Please try it on? No, You just want to laugh at me. I promise I won't laugh. The contessa looks around the office. I say, Nobody is coming. Contessa appears to waver. The New Man always comes in at the worst time, she says. But he specifically said that he would be at meetings all morning and if he came in it wouldn't be until after 3. (This more or less true, can't remember exactly when he said meetings would be done.) Do you promise you won't laugh? I promise. Contessa lets herself into the vice-boss's office to change. Am already laughing. Get ahold of self. Contessa emerges from the grotto. She dances around with the cape. Ask, now can I laugh? Romeo, the copy guy apppears in middle of frivolity. Contessa barefoot. Runs out of room, cape flying behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home