Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Cocktail Party

Last night, attend cocktail party at Serena's. As Dave doesn't take Jenny walking in the morning, he doesn't know Serena as well as I do--feel his statment that He couldn't pick her out of a line up with Chewbacca, both an exaggeration and nerdy. But eventually convince Dave to come. Say hopefully, It will be fun. He looks skeptical. Is more receptive when tell him that am nervous about meeting the editor and will he please come and support me. Yes he will. Have never been to Serena's house. Her furniture store is lovely, so am not surprised (only slightly jealous) to discover that she has three flooors of a brownstone, very cheerfully decorated with colorful artwork, good looking furniture, and healthy plants. Serena says she is so glad we could come, What do you want to drink? Let me introduce you to me nephew, He is a Writer Too. The nephew hunches into his cardigan, shoots me a look of deep dismay and am avoided for rest of night. After this introduction, find that glass is drained; refill. Minutes later discovery that second glass of wine has disappeared is very shocking. (Question: Am willing to admit to drinking wine in question, but have absolutely no recolecction of doing so--and would like to add that problem not limited to wine. Very often have rock solid believf that there is a sip left in coffee cup only to discover that cup bone dry. Is this optimism or forgetfullness?) Find that have become eloquent and willing to meet strangers. Parlor is now full with interesting-looking mix of people. See Dave talking to a man with a beard. Find self in conversation with very stylish woman who says she is a dress designer. We talk about shrimp (?!) and then she admires my shirt. After this boost feel that am able to talk to editor. Find Serena and ask her to point out editor. Serena offers to introduce me. Say boldly, No, I will introduce myself. Serena shrugs, she nods at a woman in the corner. Introduce self to woman who says her name is Beverly. Could have sworn Serena had said that her editor friend was named Beth, but do not like to ask if she is sure her name is Beverly. We have long conversation. In middle of conversation, Dave drops off a fresh glass of wine and raises his eyebrow to see if I need help. I give him a firm look signalling that I am handling the meeting beautifully. Beverly definately interested in book. This morning, see Serena in the park. Tell her that had very nice conversation with Bev, but that conversation ended abruptly, without an exchage of cards does she think I should follow up? Serena gives me a very strange look, asks, you talked about your book? Say stiffly, Yes, at length. Serena says she doesn't mean to laugh but it is funny. Ask, What is funny. Serena explains that the person I was talking to was not the editor, but is a Designer of gardens on terraces and rooftops. (Recall details side conversation about succulents.) Once she recovers herself from her fit of laughter, Serena says breezily, Oh well. I'll introduce you two again--or better yet, you can just email her. On own end, do not feel breezy at all, but, rather, mortified. Feel certain that will take days to recover.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

OH NO!!! {a la McCauly Culkin}

I think finding the glass empty is optimism.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home