Thursday, March 30, 2006

Big News

All has been in fun disorder. The day before yesterday (Tuesday) am in copy room being lectured by Romeo about the third paper drawer. Eight and a half by eleven paper has been placed on top of eleven by eighteen paper. Ask, distractedly, Is that bad? Learn that it is very bad. If the paper had been drawn into the machine it would have broken the gears. You are very lucky that the machine isn't permenantly damaged, Romeo says. Feel--not for the first time, or, I'm afraid the last--a strange and exhausting mixture of guilt and disinterest. Promise Romeo that It Will Never Happen Again. The Romeo seems satisfied at this even though he shouldn't be. The Contesa bursts into room and grabs me by the arm. Shrieks, Come to the phone quick. Think that must have won internet sweepstakes or that Dave is dead. Rush to phone. It is Sigrid's husband who says Your sister's water broke and she wants you to come. Am very excited. Say, How about you, do you want me to come? in jokey way. There is an awkward pause. Pardon? He asks. Would like to attribute his reticience to his shy nature and not to any fault of mine. While call up American Airlines to see if can turn in miles for last minute ticket, think of all the reasons why brother-in-law might not like me. Think, also, of all the reasons I might like him. American Airlines representative tells me that all of the economy milage seats are sold out. So are first class. If I want, I can use even more miles thatn required for a firsst class seat to get an economy seat. This seems extremely unfair, so give represetnative my credit card number so that can purchase ticket. Go home, throw clothes in bag, pet Jenny, call Dave, and take car service to airport. In airport, see friend who since last saw has become a rock star. Tap him on shoulders. He turns around and asks, Do I know you? Say, No--as fortunately (in a way)--he is not the friend turned rock star. Yet feel blush creep up face and am mortified for rest of airplane trip. So mortified that am too distracted to become airsick. Rent car in airport and drive self to hospital. Sigrid in labor. Husband in labor with her. Very stern nurse forbids me from entering birthing room but Sigrid's screams can be heard. Ask if the screams are normal. She is one of the quieter one's I'd say, says the nurse. Read extremely old issue of People magazine and also Smithsonian Magazine which has article about Koko the gorilla before the breast baring scandal. In cafeteria eat tapioca pudding, small cup of vegetable soup, and oatmeal cookie. Am allowed into room, where Sigrid is sweaty and redfaced, but smiles when she sees me. What are you going ot name her? I ask. What do you think about Edith? She asks. Tell her that I do not care for Edith. Me neither, she says, I think we are going to call her Elizabeth. Brother in law nods.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Congratulations! Sounds as though you had an adventure yourself getting there!

So does this officially make you the aunt or the uncle?

2:28 PM  
Blogger frostine said...

Fritz, I had no idea you were in San Francisco! You, the Comrade, and I could have met for dinner at The Crepe House (where the Comrade and I would have bickered like our very own Edward Albee play).

Welcome, baby Elizabeth!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home