Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Place in the World

Asked the Contessa today whether or not thought that what I was doing, documenting the day to day life of an Office Worker, was going to be useful to future historians. She peering into her coffee cup. Said that she thought it was about time to order more toner for the copy machine and what did I think about the New Man being stuck in Fire Island yesterday? "Ok, what about current sociologists, this stuff is right out of the horse's mouth." Had brief fantasy about being invited to talk on a Panel instead of organizing Panels. The Contessa sighed,said she thought it was highly unlikely that anyone wanted to read a blog about toner. Did I? (Asked question to self, answer: no, as toner is bane of existence.) Said, wittily, "my blog is not just about toner." The contessa hooted, slapping her knee, "my blog. What a funny phrase, 'my blog.'" The vice-boss came out of her office, "everyone is having too much fun!" in a falsely friendly sort of way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Frangipani said...

Your blog reminds me of my 10 year stint working for a big multinational company. I'm now a freelance writer and it's such a relief not to be at someone's beck and call all day. I rather enjoyed the toner part of it,though. Especially since no one else knew (or perhaps cared about) how to load toner - gave me an eerie sense of power. I controlled the office that way :) Some of us are stuck with the jobs we have for a living, but life is often what happens before and after 9-5. That's the thought that kept me sane all those years..... You write well. I've enjoyed reading your posts.

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home